The Indian Solar Market Aggregation for Rooftops (I – SMART) is a GIZ and MNRE-sponsored initiative to support the scale-up of the rooftop solar market in India using demand aggregation. Demand aggregation would help achieve competitive pricing for rooftop solar by reducing customer acquisition costs and barriers to adoption.
The I-SMART project is being run by Cadmus and TERI. The project team together combines international and national best practices on solar aggregation, solar rooftop market development programs, and state and local solar policy development. The project is running in the union territories of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu, and in the states of Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, and Uttarakhand.
Key objectives of the I-SMART project
- Bring together policymakers, state and city level agencies, various electricity consumers, and rooftop installers.
- Increase the pace of rooftop solar adoption through targeted outreach and awareness campaigns, resulting in 1000MW of aggregated demand and 200MW of installed solar capacity
- Scale the project activities through the implementation of sustainable program models
- Reduce municipal barriers to solar market development through policy recommendation and implementation
Benefits for consumers
The I-SMART project will help the consumers in the domestic, government, and commercial and industrial sectors in learning about rooftop solar and simplify its implementation. With the support of domestic and international solar consultants, the I-SMART team is helping consumers to:
- Understand and navigate the process of installing rooftop solar
- Connect with qualified installers
- Get the best deal on a system that suits their unique business needs
- Maximize return on investment from a rooftop solar system.
Benefits for rooftop installers
The I-SMART project will help rooftop installers reduce customer acquisition costs through targeted outreach and awareness campaigns. With the support of domestic and international solar consultants, the I-SMART team is supporting installers by:
- Conducting targeted outreach and education to C&I customers on the benefits of rooftop solar
- Pre-vetting select leads through remote site assessments
- Aggregating and distributing leads to the I-SMART C&I installer pool.